Saturday, September 25, 2010

Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose

What you read can determine what and how you write. I know I'm affected by what I read and since everything that goes into my head could potentially come out in a different form on the page, it's a good idea to read good books.

Many people recommend the classics, but sometimes they're difficult. Although, since starting Francine's book, I'm going to have another go at some of them, particularly Jane Austin. I watched The Jane Austin Book Club yesterday as a treat for my 700 word success (and also a good week of words). It made me go on a serious hunt for a Jane Austin book in my collection, which I couldn't find. I think they didn't make the cut when we moved to AK...

Some words to remember: on page16 Francine says, "Every page was once a blank page, just as every word that appears on it now was not always there, but instead reflects the final result of countless large and small deliberations. All the elements of good writing depend on the writer's skill in choosing one word instead of another. And what grabs and keeps our interest has everything to do with those choices."

No comments:

Post a Comment