Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Goals

In August I set a writing goal of 1,000 words per day during the week. I set the same goal several years ago when I was working on a middle grade novel I have since finished. It works. I made a copy of the calendar I keep by my computer and on it I record the number of words I wrote and also the total number of words thus far in the manuscript. Over the month, this helps me to see where I was and how far I've come.

This goal of 1,000 words is a lofty one as most days, I won't reach a thousand words, but on the other hand, some days I will. Maybe I prefer to under reach than over reach. I also know I could write on weekends which would up my productivity a lot. But weekends are for my family and ever time I try to choose, family always wins. Additionally, I don't like to be torn, and having my family in the house is distracting. So I usually opt for thinking about the story instead of actually writing it. Which deserves a lot more credit than I give it.

Today's count was 503. I'm happy with it as I think today's writing was pretty good. (Unlike Monday's which was not.)

1 comment:

  1. okay 'lil missy! I am going to try to use you as a role model and set a similar goal for myself....but perhaps 300 words a day will be what I try to attain! Not too shabby for a non-writer, or a grad student forced to write but preferring to draw. I think you set a great example! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete